Get the Flash Player to see this rotator.


All projects are welcome be it student, independent or major project.

What permissions do I require to use a song in my project? 
There are two copyrights that need to be cleared in order to license an original
song for use - the publishing copyright and the master recording copyright:
Publishing - for the use of the musical work, the lyrics and music written by
the song's composer.  
Master Recording - the actual recorded performance of a song, whose main
exploitation usually appears on a commercially released CD.  
When music has been used in any production, ie; film, video, DVD, television
program, documentary, commercial, multimedia, web site, corporate video or
video games, it requires a “synchronization” license.
Please note that a synchronization license does not grants authority to
reproduce a master recording for CD compilation or soundtrack CD or vinyl.
You must obtain a “master use” license.
I am an artist, what if I wish to do a re-record for our production or a cover song?
You will only require a Publishing license for the use.  
For any license request, please contact our music licensing  
department by filling out a “License Request Form” 
I am a songwriter, how can I make money? 
A song generates money for the writer(s) when it appears on an album, used
in a TV show or movie, gets played on the radio, gets sold as sheet music,
and used as a ring tone on a cell phone. When the song is part of an album
(CD, Vinyl etc.) or is sold as sheet music, the writer gets a mechanical royalty.
When a song is used in a movie or TV show, a performance royalty is paid to
the writer(s).
How do I improve my songwriting?   
I think the best way is to study the structure of hit songs, including oldies as
well as todays pop and urban hit songs. You got to learn from the best. Listen
to the radio on a regular basis and take notes on what hit songs have in
common. Do they end verses on major or minor chords? Do they have a
bridge? How many bars are in the intro?
You can only become great by learning from the great writers who came
before you.  

How can I be featured on A&R Discovery?
First of all, you have to be an affiliated artist, writer or composer.
There are many reasons for you to consider being featured on A&R Discovery

- Lets A&R executives, labels, artists managers, top producers, distributors,
concert promoters, press/media and TV/radio discover your talents and get
international exposure.
For more information about A&R Discovery, please click here.

How can African Music Publishing help my career?
Beside the services that we provide, we will be posting articles from time to
time on our forum ( However, if
you have any particular question about your career, music industry or any
other topics regarding music business and songwriting, you are welcome to
contact us here!

What is Synchronization Rights?  
The right to use the music in timed relations with other visual elements in a
film, video, television show/commercial, or other audio/visual production. In
other words, the right to use the music as a soundtrack with visual images.
Synchronization licenses are obtained from the publisher (or composer if no
publisher) or the music library.

What is Master Use Rights?  
When you hear music on the radio or TV, this recording is known in the music
industry as the "master recording". This is what is produced after all the
musicians have played their parts and these parts have been "mixed" together
for release. The recording of the master is also protected by copyright. A
record label or music library owns this copyright, and can grant the right to
use the recording in a compilation album, film soundtrack or other
Audio/Visual medium. It grants the right to use the sound recording.

Performing Rights?  
Public Performance Right is the exclusive right the U.S. Copyright Law gives
to the creator of a musical work or other copyrighted material authorizing the
use in public. Every time a song is performed on a broadcast, there is a public
performance. This public performance is licensed by performing rights
organizations (BMI/ASCAP/PRS/GEMA/STIM etc.) or directly from the
copyright holder as a direct license.

What is Mechanical Rights?  
License granting the right to record and release a specific composition at an
agreed-upon fee per unit manufactured and sold. Right to use a song owned
by someone else on a recording.

What is Grand Rights?  
Term used to describe "dramatic" performing rights. This would include
musical comedies (Broadway and off-Broadway), operas, operettas, ballets,
as well as renditions of musical compositions in a dramatic setting where
there is narration, a plot and/or costumes and scenery. The copyright owner
has the exclusive right to issue licenses and collect fees for grand rights.
Performance Rights Organizations do not collect performing rights royalties
for this use, and are licensed directly from either the composer or publisher.

What is a Direct License?  
A license obtained directly from the copyright owner or publisher where the
Performing Rights are paid directly to the copyright owner by the Licensee.
With a Direct License, no royalties are collected by, or paid to, the Performing
Rights Organizations (BMI/ASCAP/PRS/GEMA/STIM etc.).

What is a Copyright?  
The exclusive right, granted by law for a stated period, usually until 70 years
after the death of the surviving author of the work, to make, dispose of, and
otherwise control copies of literary, musical, dramatic, pictorial and other
copyrightable works.